The SCRD provides a community service for wastewater treatment and disposal. The small community wastewater treatment systems are located in Electoral Areas A, B, D, E and F. The specific wastewater collection and treatment facilities are:
- West Howe Sound (Area F) - Langdale
- Elphinstone (Area E) – Sunnyside, Woodcreek
- Roberts Creek ( Area D ) - Roberts Creek Cohousing
- Halfmoon Bay (Area B) – Curran Road, Jolly Roger, Square Bay, Secret Cove
- Pender Harbour (Area A) – Greaves Road, Canoe Road, Lee Bay, Merrill Crescent, Lily Lake.
The sewer treatment facilities operated by the SCRD are regulated by the Provincial Government under the Ministry of Environment (Sewer systems that discharge over 22.7 m3 per day) and the Local Health Authority (Sewer systems that discharge less than 22.7 m3 per day).
New Community Systems
New community sewer systems are required to comply with the respective Ministry regulations and with SCRD Servicing Bylaw 320. In accordance with this Bylaw, persons wanting to construct a community sewer system to serve two or more parcels in the SCRD must first apply and receive approval in writing from the SCRD.
Sewage Treatment Best Practices
Did you know a sewagehttp://hh.scrd.ca/admin/index.php# system uses living organisms to decompose and treat the sewage before discharging into the environment? Your everyday actions affect how the system operates. Find out how. Learn more about What Not to Flush!