Sitemap Close
My SCRD Online


Local government elections in British Columbia are held every four years. The next election will be held on Saturday, October 20, 2018 with advance voting opportunities on October 10 and 17. Within the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD), voters in each Electoral Area choose one Director to serve on the SCRD Board. Ballots for School Trustees (Rural Areas 1 and 2) and for Local Trustees for the Gambier Island Local Trust Area are made available at SCRD voting places where applicable.

2014 Election Results

Area D - Roberts Creek 
Area E - Elphinstone  
Area F - West Howe Sound

Note: Directors from Areas A and B were elected by acclamation.

Information for Candidates

The Province of British Columbia has uploaded a collection of information for potential candidates.

Campaign Financing
As of May 29, 2014, Elections BC will oversee the campaign financing and third party advertising rules.  Local governments will retain responsibility for administering voting and accepting candidate nomination forms. For answers to questions about the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act (i.e. election advertising, third party advertising sponsors and campaign financing rules), please contact Elections BC toll free at 1 855 952-0280; or by email at . Elections BC has also developed a Guide to Local Elections Campaign Financing in BC, as well as the Third Party Sponsor Guide to Local Elections in BC.

Information for Voters

Am I Eligible to Vote?
If eligible, you may vote in a local election in the Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) or the Gambier Island Local Trust Area as either a resident elector or as a non-resident property elector - someone who owns property in the jurisdiction but lives somewhere else in BC. This guide answers a few of the basic questions about local government elections in British Columbia.

Am I on the Voter’s List?
The Sunshine Coast Regional District uses the Provincial Voters' List  as its List of Resident Electors.  If you have previously registered as a non-resident property elector, you will continue to be registered as an elector. 

Can I Register to Vote on Voting Day?
If you are not on the List of Electors, but qualify to vote, you may register on voting day at your designated voting place.

To register at the voting place, you must provide election staff with two pieces of identification (ID).  The ID must prove who you are and where you live. At least one piece must have your signature on it. If your ID does not show your residential address, you can make a "solemn declaration" as to your residency. Examples of acceptable forms of identification include:

BC Driver's License Utility Bill
Social Insurance Card Property Tax Notice
ICBC Vehicle Insurance Documents BC CareCard or Gold CareCard
BC Identification Card Citizenship Card
Credit Card  

Non-resident Property Owners Registration to Vote
Non-resident property owners may also register at the time of voting; however advance registration is encouraged. 

You can apply to register as a Non-Resident Property Elector prior to September 23, 2014 at the Sunshine Coast Regional District Office, located at 1975 Field Road, Sechelt, during regular office hours, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, excluding statutory holidays. You will be asked to provide two pieces of identification and proof that you are the registered owner of the property.  If the property is owned jointly with other individuals, you must also demonstrate - in writing - that you have the consent of the majority of all the owners to vote as the non-resident property elector. An application to register as a non-resident property elector must be completed.

Where do I Vote?
Voting place locations will be advertised in the Coast Reporter and posted here, once an election has been declared by the Chief Election Officer.

If you are unsure which electoral area you live or own property in, please refer to the SCRD's interactive on-line web mapping tool. Simply click on the "I want to" box, scroll down and select “Parcel Search” enter your street number and name and click "search".  A map will appear identifying the property searched. The electoral area is identified on the property searched.

Any inconsistency with the Local Government Act is unintentional and for accuracy, reference should be made to that Act. Official election notices will be published in the Coast Reporter newspaper.

Archived Election Results and Statistics